Graduate Handbook

Handbook for Graduate Studies in Mathematics West Virginia University 2018 - 2019

1. General Information

(1.1) The Department of Mathematics offers the following degrees: Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).

(1.2)This handbook provides information on both the M.S. program and the Ph.D. program in Mathematics. The policies below, their interpretation and their execution, are the responsibility of the Graduate Programs Committee. In general, any questions about policy, or appeals of policy decisions, should be brought to the Graduate Programs Committee, either directly, or after consultation with the student's advisor. This Handbook is intended for the use of faculty as well as prospective and current graduate students. Other information and regulations concerning graduate study are contained in the University's Graduate Catalog.

(1.3) Students in any of the degree programs are expected to remain in good standing. In addition to meeting University requirements, to remain in good standing, and as a condition of satisfactory progress, students must, by the end of the first year and each semester thereafter, maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 in course work included in their program of study and, separately, in such course work taken in the Mathematics Department. Students must also maintain satisfactory progress toward their degree as discussed in (2.5.1) and (3.10) and meet program deadlines. Students making satisfactory progress are expected to complete their M.S. program within two years of full-time study, and their Ph.D. program within five years of full-time study, and decisions on the award and/or continuation of financial support include such expectations. Students are also expected to receive at least a B in any course taken to remedy deficiencies in their background, usually in connection with their admission as a provisional student.

(1.4) Graduate Faculty List: A list of current graduate faculty is maintained by the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences. Students who are being supervised for an M.S. or Ph.D. thesis must be supervised by a regular member of the graduate faculty.

(1.5) Course work: When used below “course work” and “courses” refers to standard three-credit courses that include Independent Study courses (Math X95), but exclude credit hours in connection with Research (Math X97) , Thesis (Math X98), Graduate Colloquium (Math X99), and one-credit seminar courses, including Math 696, Math 590, and Math 694.